Sunday, September 30, 2012

(counter)productivity

I haven't done anything productive in the past two days. I could even argue that my mini marathons of Honey Boo-Boo, Breaking Amish, and America's Next Top Model are counterproductive to my development as a human-being. It's this sort of mindless television that weakens the sharpness of our minds and our acuity. But the thing is, I feel like watching TV keeps me sane.

Even when I was little, I hated showing weakness and emotion. If something irritated me and made me want to cry, I would only do so in the comfort of isolation. Usually I'd escape to my closet, and let it all out there. After about thirty seconds of gross uncontrollable emotion, I'd begin to seek ways of suppressing all those feels. This involved me flipping through the channels and finding something to capture my attention. Watching TV let me pause all the little things that caused me stress and heartache, and enter the world of Lizzie Mcguire or That's so Raven. So when these programs came to a close, the emotions would fade and I'd be able to tackle my problems rationally.

The point is, I'm not sure if I'm subconsciously turning to TV because I'm having issues with life. I guess I'll figure it out this week and get back to you.




No comments:

Post a Comment